What is the data set about?
We will be using four different sources to obtain data for our application.
- Realtor: This data will contain real estate information such as location (address, city, state), pricing data (sale price, changes in prices within a certain amount of days), and similar houses for sale/rent within a certain proximity.
- Great Schools: This data will contain school profile information such as location (address, city, state), direct links to school websites, reviews from parents, type of school (pre-k, elementary, high school), and academic information (student-to-teacher ratio, average rating of school).
- Socrata: This data will contain detailed location information on crime within the KC metro area.
- Google Maps: This service will provide a visual representation (in the form of a map) of the target location.
Who is in the data?
Realtor provides information on houses that are currently on the U.S. market. This data can be useful for the main character’s choice of residence. The main character can compare sale prices, review images, and get detailed description information on a house.
Great Schools provides data about all the schools in the U.S. This data can be useful for the main character’s child in choosing a better opportunity in his/her education. The main character can compare school ratings, types, and location.
Socrata’s dataset contains statistical information about crimes that people have committed in the U.S. This data can be useful for the main character’s safety and peace of mind. Safety is the first factor to consider when choosing a house for a family, and this data will provide some insight on whether the area is safe or not.
Google Maps service will provide a visual map of the latest real estate on the market.
The data collected for Realtor, Great Schools, Socrata, and Google Map are usually collected on a current schedule. However, the time ranges for the data varies. Realtor, Great Schools, and Google Maps data are usually updated with current data. Whereas, Socrata’s data is dependent on its sources. Some of Socrata’s data can be current and/or historical. In terms of generalization made across time, most of the data that we require for this application will need to be in real time.
Many of these data sets were collected for statistical reasons, applications, and sources of information.
Realtor is an application that displays available real estate/properties for rent or purchase. They collect their data from several sources to provide services to their users.
Great Schools is an application that provides statistical information on schools. They collect their data to share and conduct research on schools so that users (parents) will be able to use that information.
Socrata is an application designed to assist developers for certain types of available data.
Realtor only provides real estate information in the U.S. and U.S. territories. This national data contains geological information such as street address, zip code, city, state, latitude, and longitude.
Great Schools provides statistical information and educational reports across the U.S. This national data contains specific school locations, addresses, and also returns nearby schools (if key parameters are given).
Socrata provides crime data throughout the U.S. This data can be searched and returned in either regional or local sets. However, the returned data does not contain detailed geographical information.
The process of our application will follow this workflow:
- The user will input a KC metro area or address into the UI.
- Our application will complete the Realtor API request using the user input as the parameter and return the data.
- The data will be displayed to the user through a geological visualization of Google maps.
- The user can click on a specific house for more details.
- Our application will complete another Realtor API request, along with Socrata and Great Schools, and return data.**
- Users can review the data to make a decision.
- Users can also save that house to their favorites list for accessing later.
**Users will be able to see all the houses for sale, the count of crime rates, the nearest schools, and similar houses.